Saturday, May 11, 2013

Then Why The Hell Are You So Sad?

" 'Never stick your dick in Crazy and never let Crazy stick his dick in you'  Isn't that how the saying goes?"

This was way before he had even thought to tell her, way before he let it become relevant to the conversation.  Besides, he was fascinated by how she dealt with "Crazy".  He wanted to know how she'd deal with him when the time came.  Her first rule: Know the rules, and break them.

"Is he Crazy?"
"Mixed-Bipolar.  He was diagnosed at 25.  Some big "Episode", which he doesn't talk about.  A bunch since then.  And he's chosen to live his life very carefully.  He's very accomplished, but has very few friends,"
"And you like him because he's accomplished or because he could still do with some rescuing?"
"Honestly, it started out as both,"  She went into some long reverie while he tried to look attentive and consume his diner veggie burger.  It had a coating of breading and oil, which rendered the whole thing inedible.  But it was either this or go back to meat. He'd rather stay hungry.

"So the short of it is, you are still in love with him,"
"Yep.  Although I know better.  And I don't even want to be.  But nobody's seen him in a month. And he's started to write to me again,"
"You let him?"

There were so many answers in her eyes.
I'm not as mad at him anymore.
He doesn't have anyone else.
But I love him.
He'll always have me in an emergency.

"It's a pattern," she said, putting down her luscious burger.  "He's not sleeping well. He's agitated and quick to anger.  He accuses other people of mental illnesses-"
"Is he right?"
"Yes, that I'm neurotic and depressed and could use some therapy.  But he's approaching another "Episode", and I want to be there for him,"
"From 2500 miles away?"
"I'm in touch with his therapist.  In case he goes overboard..."
"Suicide?"
She looked him in the eye.

"He's talked that way before.  Now, I think he's just full of energy, not violence.  Maybe. He didn't tell me what happened last time. His cycles are getting shorter.  Maybe it's like giving birth, when the contractions get shorter, something's going to happen,"
"What happened last time?"
"He got mad at me a few months ago.  Cut me off.  Now he's ready to see me again, eager, he's in a Manic phase.  All the contact I wanted when he was a block away. Now,he wants to talk, to write.  I can't keep up with his emails.  And he's not sleeping."
"Do you really think it's helpful to him or you?"
"The important thing is that he's talking to me!  He's reaching out."
"And when he stops?"
"It's a relief.  I prefer it when he gets angry at me, when he pulls away."  She stopped and picked up her burger again. " 'It's not the man, it's the ghost', we have to finish that song."
"I have a new one for you, "How do you Unlove Somebody", the opposite of the Love Potion song trope."
"That's funny.  Hmm, I can imagine sitting there and not being able to drink it"

He had his answer there.  Once she got hooked on someone, she couldn't get out.  They sat there, chewing on their burgers, both their minds with someone else.


"If it makes you happy"-Sheryl Crow

No comments:

Post a Comment